Tuesday 5 August 2008

Nostalgia...

Having rummaged through a few old Kodachrome slides I found this little gem that I took some years ago in the Antarctic. Certainly not something that would be of much use on Dartmoor, but a reminder in the debate of tarps/ tents etc etc etc that there are also extreme shelters such as this. The pyramid tent weighs.... a lot... and is double skinned ventile outer with four large diameter allow legs / poles. It was an absolute palace to live in.

Above is the worlds finest dog team (I would argue) I have scanned this from one of my B+W prints which is why it is looking a bit ropey... Anyway, the team is 'The Admirals' of Rothera Base Antarctica taken in the winter of 1992 when the sea ice was really good and allowed John S and myself to sledge south to the Argentine base on the Debenham Islands. I suppose much of this isn't relevant to today really, nor to this blog, but what the hell I may as well share some memories alongthe way. :-)
I cant get the hang of posting pictures an text and everything seems to arrive at the top of the page so if anyone has some guidance on this I would be grateful.

10 comments:

AktoMan said...

Wow.

As to images - yes, they do that when you upload them to Blogger. Drag them down to where you want them to go afterwards.

The new, Blogger-in-draft is slightly better. And I've just checked - and, yes, if you click the cursor somewhere on the page, that's where the image goes when you upload a picture. Rather than to the top of the page.

Walk Dartmoor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

fantasmagorical, I am going green with envy. Great pictures and wow, what an experience.

Anonymous said...

By the by Shamus, of course it is relevant to today. Personally I find it fascinating and I am sure others do to. Keep it going. Dawn

Walk Dartmoor said...

Well that is encouraging, thanks Duncan and Dawn.

Perhaps I will take some time aside to gather a few thoughts and pictures to make a decent post that gives a little more feeling to the subject.

John Hee said...

suitable pictures for this superb summer we're having
;-(

Walk Dartmoor said...

Well John, I can feel a new post coming on...

Redefining rain!

We get so much that we may as well learn to enjoy it and crave its arrival.

Are you heding for the moor this weekend? If so perhaps I should rewrite the definition of rain tomorrow just to make sure you enjoy it.

Walk Dartmoor said...

I cant remember because the miserable sod hasnt invited me :-%

OK Maybe September? November?

chasrle said...

Relevant, schmelevant. Post pics like this whenever you like.

Walk Dartmoor said...

Thanks Chasrle

I shall have to think about posting a few more memories then

:-)))